Technician found dead under shed by son

first_imgA technician was on Sunday night found in a shed in his yard by his young son, and despite efforts to save his life, the 42-year-old man died while receiving medical attention.Devendra BalgobinDead is Devendra Balgobin of lot 37 Middle Street, Goedverwagting, East Coast Demerara (ECD).Guyana Times understands that the discovery was made at about 19:30h after the lad was sent by another relative to check on his father.Balgobin had reportedly been ill and was frequently in and out of the hospital. He was scheduled to return for treatment recently but had refused to go.He was admitted to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) on Saturday but left the hospital on Sunday. His family was unaware that he discharged himself from the hospital and returned to his home at about 18:00h on Sunday.According to the now dead man’s stepson, Kevin, the technician was still alive when his younger brother notified him that there was “something wrong” with him.“His sister who lives at the back of the yard asked me to speak to him about going to the hospital because he kept refusing. He told me he was not going either and I went into the house and was on the phone talking with my friend when my little brother went outside and he told me daddy standing up funny. I get up right away and jump out the chair and look out and see him with his foot off the ground,” the stepson related.The young man stated that he immediately raised an alarm and neighbours, as well as other family members, rushed to render assistance.He added that Balgobin would usually consume alcohol and had been encountering difficulties with certain family members. It is suspected that he committed suicide as a result of domestic issues. (Kristen Macklingam)last_img read more

WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL DEVELOPER IN ‘MISSING’ €1.6MILLION CONTROVERSY

first_imgA well-known Letterkenny property-developer who transferred €1.6m to an offshore trust in the Isle of Man has told the High Court he can’t be certain where the money has gone.The missing cash is the subject of a freezing order granted after receivers were appointed to property company Brendan Gildea Ltd by National Irish Bank. Mr Gildea is a respected businessman and has built many of Donegal’s best-known housing developments.Lawyers for AIB said they may have found the money. Although the bank is not involved in the case, it went to court after noticing a bank transfer that it thinks could match the money covered by the freezing order.The controversial €1.6m is the subject of intensive court hearings. Developer Brendan Gildea, of Brookside Villas, Magherennan, Letterkenny, moved the money to the Isle of Man last April, before his company, listed with the same address, was taken into receivership in May.However receivers Martin Ferris & Associates, who were appointed to the company by NIB, want the funds returned.They say the money belongs to the company and ultimately to the bank, not to Mr Gildea.Brendan Gildea Ltd was taken into receivership on May 30 this year after failing to repay debts of €6.4m. The missing €1.6m was paid by Mr Gildea’s company into his own account in part settlement of €4.8m of director’s loans he made to the company.The court has not ruled on who is entitled to the funds, but it did issue a freezing order stopping the money being moved until the matter is settled. The company loans were backed by personal guarantees from Mr Gildea, which are also understood to have been called in by the bank.The developer now risks being jailed for contempt of court, because lawyers said he failed to correctly disclose the location of the €1.6m when the High Court issued its freezing order on July 4.They said that, on July 4, lawyers for Mr Gildea told the court the money was in the Isle of Man, even though Mr Gildea had ordered the money to be transferred to another account on June 20. In previous evidence, Mr Gildea said he failed to mention moving the money because he was not sure that the transfer had been completed.Yesterday Mr Gildea apologised to the Court for failing to refer to the transfer request at the time the freezing order was made.The judge ajourned the case until July 19 but ordered AIB to give details of the account they believe could hold the money to Myles Kirby of Martin Ferris & Associates.WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL DEVELOPER IN ‘MISSING’ €1.6MILLION CONTROVERSY was last modified: July 16th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AIBBRENDAN GILDEAPROPERTY DEVELOPERlast_img read more