Tough back-to-back bid for Alab Pilipinas as ABL continues to grow

first_imgNadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil But Alab head coach Jimmy Alapag knows it’s best for his team to avoid looking too far ahead.“You can run away from it. The ABL is growing and is continuing to improve the last nine years and no one has won back-to-back,” Alapag told INQUIRER.net on Tuesday in a press conference at Marriott Hotel.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We’re aware of it and it’s something that we acknowledge, but I just want our guys focusing on every day trying to get better and putting ourselves in the position that each day we get closer to our goal which is to be back in the finals,” he said.Getting there won’t be easy especially with the rest of the league extra motivated to take down the defending champions. Teams in the 9th season of the ASEAN Basketball League. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netNo team in the ASEAN Basketball League has won back-to-back championships.San Miguel Alab Pilipinas hopes to be the first to pull off the historic feat as they defend their crown in the upcoming 2018-19 ABL Season.ADVERTISEMENT View comments LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum MOST READ Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Teaming up with Balkman as Alab’s other World Import is the hulking PJ Ramos while Filipino-Americans Caelan Tiongson, Brandon Rosser and Ethan Alvano and former La Salle slotman Prince Rivero complete the squad.The tireless Tiongson, who does a little bit of everything, was brought in by Alapag from Chong Son Kung Fu, which has relocated to Macau and will now be known as the Macau Black Bears in the coming season.The ABL also welcomed its newest member in China’s Zhuhai Wolf Warriors, expanding the league to 10 teams.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal “Winning back-to-back titles has never been done and that alone explains everything. It’s going to be tough because we have a bullseye on our back,” said Alab swingman Ray Parks, who is the reigning two-time Local MVP.“We all heard in there that everyone’s saying that the Philippine team is so strong but I’m not reading too much into that,” Alapag said.“Every team has gotten better and as the defending champions, you’re going to get every team’s best shot whether it’s Hong Kong or Formosa.”The core players from last year’s championship run with the exception of Justin Brownlee, are back for Alab.Aside from Parks, Renaldo Balkman, Pamboy Raymundo, Josh Urbiztondo, Lawrence Domingo, Paolo Javelona, Rob Celiz, Oping Sumalinog and JR Alabanza are ready for Alab’s title-retention bid, which begins with a home game against the CLS Knights Indonesia at Sta. Rosa Multipurpose Complex in Laguna on December 9.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown PH’s Youth Olympic Games campaign ends with 1 silver as golfers, archer bow out Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anewlast_img read more

Mans shooter remains on loose

first_imgWHITTIER – Nearly 10 months after an 18-year-old Whittier man was shot to death by someone who asked for him at his front door, investigators Tuesday released a sketch of a man believed to be the shooter. Michael Reynoso was shot three times in the doorway of his home in the 7800 block of Vicki Drive on June 1, after the gunman asked Reynoso’s mother if her son could come to the door. She held Reynoso as he died on the front steps. Christina Reynoso pleaded Tuesday for the public’s help in solving her son’s slaying. “We need help, we need justice,” she said. “We need somebody to come forward. His life mattered.” Police based the sketch on the mother’s recollection of the man she saw when she opened the door at about 10 p.m. that night. He said his name was James and asked if Michael could come to the door, she said. Reynoso said she called her son, then went into the kitchen and, moments later, heard three gunshots. The gunman appeared to be in his mid-20s and had a dark skin color, she said. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department homicide Detective Rich Ramirez said despite his hard work on the case, few solid clues have turned up. He needs anyone who might know what happened that night to come forward, he said. The investigation has been difficult because potential witnesses have been too afraid to come forward, he said. Also, Michael Reynoso was known to have fought with several people in the neighborhood, Ramirez said. “There is no doubt there’s an element of retaliation associated with this murder – the lying in wait, knocking on the door, waiting for him to come to the door,” the investigator said. He believes the gunman acted alone. Meanwhile, Christina Reynoso said she cannot rest knowing her son’s killer remains free. “It’s so frustrating, I just can’t even tell you,” Reynoso said. “There is no closure for our family. Michael was the life of the family.” [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more